Happy Halloween. Most Americans love everything about Halloween – not just dressing up and trick-or-treating the day of—but also visiting haunted houses and attending parties and other Halloween events during the entire month of October. Lucky for them, apartment residents in certain cities have much more to enjoy about this spooky holiday than others.
Here are our top picks for Best Cities for Halloween:
- Salem, Mass.: No place in the country – or the world, for that matter – celebrates Halloween like this Northeast U.S. city. Known as the site of the Salem witch trials in the late 1600s, Salem celebrates its creepy history with events throughout October. Events include the Haunted Footsteps Ghost Tour, the 1692 Salem Witchcraft Walk, Haunted Harbor Cruise, and a Haunted Movie Series at the Salem Common Historic District. Plus, authentic séances are held, along with the annual Psychic Fair and Witchcraft Expo.
- New Orleans, La.: Already a spooky place to live because of its haunted homes, historic graveyards and voodoo history, New Orleans really comes alive at Halloween. Apartment residents who live in this Southern city are fortunate to be scared silly at the House of Shock, which was voted the number one haunted attraction in the U.S. The House of Shock is set up as a country fair devoted to gore, with a live pyrotechnic stage show, a walk through the haunted house, a zombie graveyard and Satanic Church.
- San Francisco, Calif.: This illustrious city by the Bay has been deemed the “best city in the U.S. for trick-or-treating”, according to Zillow’s annual ranking. San Francisco earns this distinction, because it “will provide the most candy, in the least amount of time, with the fewest safety risks,” according to Zillow. Parents who live in San Francisco are fortunate to have a great place to take their kids out on Halloween night.
- Hershey, Penn.: Speaking of trick-or-treating, Hershey is one of the sweetest places to live for fresh, local chocolate and other Halloween treats. It is the home, of course of The Hershey Co. and nearby is the chocolate division of Mars and Just Born, the manufacturer of Peeps. Plus, Pennsylvania provides more pumpkins than other state – millions are harvested from 6,500 acres.
- Pontiac, Mich.: This Midwestern city is home to the Erebus Haunted Attraction, a four-story, plot-driven haunted house that previously held the Guinness World Record for largest haunted house. Residents of Pontiac and nearby cities say it is the scariest haunted house they have ever visited.
If you love to celebrate Halloween – with all of its terrors, tricks, and treats – you need to live near a city that embraces the spirit of everything that is great about this holiday. You can find a great apartment that is near your Halloween houses, events and festivals, as well as near safe neighborhoods for trick-or-treating. Let ApartmentSearch.com help you find your next home. We quickly narrow down your search for the perfect place to live by amenities, price, location, and other factors. Plus, when you tell your new apartment community that you found your apartment on ApartmentSearch.com, you can earn up to $200 in rewards. Finding you next apartment is not scary! You just need to use ApartmentSearch.
Many renters know of ApartmentSearch.com because of how easy it makes finding the perfect apartment, but did you know that finding your next home through the site can also help a good cause? Now you can opt to make a $100 donation to Volunteers of America (VOA), a nonprofit devoted to supporting and empowering America’s most vulnerable people, in lieu of a $100 Visa gift card just by finding your new home! Read the rest of this entry »
There are many myths surrounding the renting vs. buying situation. If you’re considering moving into an apartment for rent or purchasing a house, you’ll find lots of conflicting arguments about which one is better. Either way, deciding between renting or buying takes a lot of time and resources. But don’t worry! We’re going to debunk a few of these myths to make your decision process a little easier.
Myth: Buying is always better renting.
Truth: Definitely not true! There are a lot of factors that will help determine whether you should buy or rent. What is your budget? How long will you live there? How much room do you need? What’s the current state of the housing market in your area? What does your credit score look like? Once you can answer these questions, you will be able to make the decision right for you. Read the rest of this entry »
Sam, a sweet, joyful cocker spaniel, is waiting anxiously to see his owners, John and Marley. His nose has been pressed up against the window for the past hour, even though they won’t be home from work for two more hours. Sam, of course, doesn’t have the same human concept of time. Still, while he has been waiting in his owners’ three bedroom apartment and has kept busy watching birds in the trees near his second-floor window, taking naps and playing with his favorite red rubber ball.
Sam, John, and Marley’s story is the same throughout apartment communities all over the U.S. Catering to furry family members has become one of the hallmarks of the apartment industry – and for good reason. Over 70 percent of U.S. households own a pet. In fact, more U.S. families own cats (30 percent) than own stocks (14 percent), according to The Federal Reserve. Cats are undoubtedly very popular pets, but more Americans own dogs: 36.5 percent of households, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association. Other popular pets include birds, fish, ferrets, rabbits, turtles, hamsters and guinea pigs. Read the rest of this entry »
These days, lots of people are downsizing and moving into apartment communities to save space and money on homeowner expenses. This trend also means people are moving some of their belongings into self-storage. However, finding the right self-storage space can be a challenging task, especially if you’re not sure what to look for. Storage units are available in a wide range of sizes and a variety of features, which can make the decision process seem endless. By evaluating your exact storage needs, you can determine what the best option and value is best for you. Here are a few tips to consider when selecting a storage unit: Read the rest of this entry »
Finding the perfect apartment for rent is already a challenging experience, but when you add choosing a lease type it becomes even more difficult. A lease is a contract you make as a tenant with your landlord that lays out the conditions and costs of the apartment rental, the services they provide, and the length of rental time. There are a few options when it comes to leasing terms, so you want to make sure you find the one right for you. In order to alleviate some of the stress of choosing the right leasing option, here’s a breakdown of the difference between long-term and month-to-month leases. Read the rest of this entry »
Fall is such a wonderful, social time of year. As the pleasant fall temperatures surround us and we head out to fall festivals and pre-Halloween activities, we also gather with our friends and families at restaurants across the country. Apartment living means the ability to choose where you live close to the things you love to do – even you favorite places to eat.
But which cities sport some of the best food cultures? These are places that have developed their own distinct food style and scene, based on many generations and cultures that live in the area. Here is our list of Cities with the Best Food Cultures: Read the rest of this entry »
Noisy neighbors are a common complaint for apartment tenants. However, if you complain about your noisy neighbor, it’s likely that they say the same thing about you from time to time. Even if you have carpet flooring, sometimes you need to take additional steps to keep your apartment soundproof. If you tend to listen to a lot of loud music or play motion related video games, it might be essential for you to limit your sound and stay on your neighbor’s good side. Here are a few tips on keeping the noise level down in your apartment: Read the rest of this entry »
Anyone who has moved apartments knows what a painful process it can be. Packing up all of your life into little boxes can seem pretty impossible at the beginning. However, packing doesn’t have to be so horrible! We’ve got a few essential packing tips that will alleviate some of the stress of moving your whole life to a different place. Read the rest of this entry »
The next generation of apartment residents is an entrepreneurial, technologically-adept and financially-independent group. They may be too young to venture out on their own yet, but today’s children will be moving out on their own sooner than you might expect and they are excited to soon be living the lifestyle of modern apartment living.
This demographic group, dubbed Generation Z (born between 1994 and 2000), is even more independent than Generation Y and Millennials, with many more of these teens expressing a desire to start their own businesses and hire employees (even though they are still in school). These independent thinkers are likely to choose apartments, in order to have financial stability and live the independent lifestyle they enjoy. Read the rest of this entry »