We love this time of year, and know that you do, too. Everyone seems to be in a joyful, sharing kind of mode. It is a great time to get out of your apartment and participate in some of the merriment in your city. While every city has some great light displays, Christmas caroling, holiday parades, and traditions unique to them, we found the top U.S. cities that go above and beyond for the holidays.
The best seven cities for holiday celebrations include:
- New York City: When you live in the city, there is nothing like walking along Madison Avenue and Fifth Avenue, and viewing the beautiful and iconic storefronts. Some retailers, such as Barneys and Macy’s, even have high-tech light shows and 3D displays. Plus, ice skating at Rockefeller Center is not just for tourists. It is thrilling to be able to ice skate in such a grand setting, surrounded by international flags, gold skating statues and a stunning Christmas tree.
- Durango, Colo.: Every year, families who live in apartments in and around Durango flock to the town to ride the Polar Express. This aptly named train is a real steam train pulled by a steam locomotive, giving kids and adults the feel of what it is like to ride the fictional Polar Express. Kids also love visiting santa at the “North Pole”, and singing Christmas carols.
- Orlando, Fla.: Orlando apartment residents are fortunate to live near several Christmas and winter holiday celebrations in one spot. Disney Hollywood Studios features the famous Osbourne Family Spectacle of Lights, in which millions of lights “dance” to the holiday music. At Magic Kingdom, there is nothing like walking down Main Street USA with its beautiful holiday decorations and standing in front of the beautifully-lit Cinderella’s Castle – with Frozen stage show – for the holiday.
- Newport Beach, Calif.: Newport Beach apartment residents come out every year for the spectacle that is the Newport Beach Parade. More than 100 holiday-themed boats – decked out with life-size santas, Christmas trees, and multi-colored lights – fill Newport Harbor for five nights in December.
- Anapolis, Md.: Residents who live in or near this city enjoy the impressive “Lights on the Bay” drive-through holiday light show. Held at Sandy Point State Park every December, the show features more than 60 animated and stationary displays and is not to be missed.
- Asheville, N.C. Everyone who lives near Asheville loves visiting the Biltmore Estate around Christmas. The famed mansion is decked out with real Christmas trees that are several stories tall and other magnificent Christmas decorations. A short drive to the Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa anytime after Thanksgiving allows up-close views of the hundreds of creations in the National Gingerbread House Display and Competition.
- Chicago, Ill.: Locals love to see the millions of lights expertly displayed along the Magnificent Mile, attend the annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony and visit Christkindlmarket, a German market featuring traditional wooden toys and German food and beverages.
If you love to celebrate the winter holidays with parades, light displays and other fun events, you should live in a city that really gets into the spirit of the holiday. Let ApartmentSearch.com help you find your next home. We quickly narrow down your search for the perfect place to live by amenities, price, location, and other factors. Plus, when you tell your new apartment community that you found your apartment on ApartmentSearch.com, you can earn up to $200 in rewards. What a great bonus, just in time for Christmas!