As the summer sun beats down on most of the United States – with some states experiencing severe drought – there are some cities in which you can actually stay cool in the summertime. If you live in an apartment in one of these 10 U.S. cities, count yourself lucky. And if you don’t? These are some of the best places for summer vacation!
- San Francisco, Calif. This city tops the list for having the coolest weather each day in June, July, and August. Its average daily temperature during the summer is 61 degrees Fahrenheit, versus most U.S. cities, which are at least 70 degrees F and higher. Plus, when you live here, you are near the cool San Francisco Bay – along with its beauty – and close to top restaurants, shopping, wineries and scenic beauty. Live here and you’ll also get to brag about San Fran’s top New Year’s Eve celebration!
- Seattle, Wash. A breezy 65 degrees F on average during the summer, this city is also known for its abundance of rain. Despite the rainy days, residents of this great Western city appreciate its natural beauty – it is surrounded by mountains and water – and its abundance of things to do. Residents can hang out in the coolest coffee shops by day and experience thrilling sporting events, clubs, and restaurants during the cool summer evenings.
- Portland, Ore. The average summer temperature here is a brisk 67 degrees F, which allows residents to get out and enjoy the great outdoors – including nearby Mount Hood. Plus, apartment dwellers can see some of the many reasons the city’s slogan is “Keep Portland Weird,” including The Naked Bike Ride.
- Buffalo, N.Y. Not all cool cities are on the West Coast! This eastern city sports a crisp 69 degrees F average temp in the summer. Plus, there are so many exciting things to do and see outside, including the renowned Buffalo Zoo, the Delaware Park and the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens.
- Milwaukee, Wis. This northern city’s average temperature is a brisk 70 degrees during June, July, and August. This allows residents and visitors to get out to see the Bronze Fonz, The Basilica of St. Josephat, the Harley Davidson Museum, and more.
- Denver, Colo. The Mile High City is crisp 71 degrees F throughout the summer. Residents love seeing the Denver Broncos training camp, visiting the Denver Zoo, and hiking/ biking in the mountains surrounding the city. (Psst! Are you a fan of both Seattle and Denver? We weighed the eats and activities for you in Denver vs Seattle.)
- Pittsburgh, Penn. Surprisingly, Pittsburgh sports temps around 71 degrees F throughout the summer. Residents enjoy the city’s many historical sites, as well as the Phipps Conservatory and the Andy Warhol Museum. Check out our list of Pittsburgh’s prettiest attractions to learn more.
- Boston, Mass. This great city by the water boasts a cool 71 degrees F in June, July, and August. Apartment residents here love to row, walk and bike – especially in the Boston Commons area – and visit the New England Aquarium, the Freedom Trail, and a number of other historic sites. Moving to Boston? These are the top five places you need to visit!
- Minneapolis, Minn. This sprawling northern city is a balmy 71 degrees F throughout the summer, allowing residents to get out and enjoy great shopping, restaurants, parks and more. Minnehaha Park, with its beautiful scenery and waterfall, is one of their favorite places to visit.
- Hartford, Conn. Hartford is also a breezy 71 degrees F in the summertime, allowing apartment residents to get out and visit the Harriet Beecher Stowe House, the Wadsworth Museum, and other sites. Plus, they can spend time at Elizabeth Park, Silver Sands State Park or the Essex Steam Train and Riverboat.
If you want to move to one of the coolest U.S. cities, visit ApartmentSearch.com. We’ll help you quickly find the best apartment for you, based on neighborhood, walkability score, school ratings and more. We can even help you turn any apartment into a furnished apartment. So convenient! Plus, when you tell your new apartment community that you found them using ApartmentSearch, you can earn up to $200 in rewards.