What could be a better way to start off 2015 than with a spotless living space? Although plenty of those pesky New Year’s resolutions may fall by wayside, cleanliness shouldn’t be one of them. Keep your apartment spick and span throughout the year with these easy yet effective apartment cleaning hacks.
1. Do you have unsavory odors lingering on carpets or upholstery? Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the area, leave for several hours, and then vacuum up the baking soda. The longer you leave it, the better it will work! (Remember to keep pets away from the area though.)
2. Use a pillowcase or old t-shirt to dust your fan blades. Covering the whole blade prevents spreading the dust through the air.
3. Get rid of oil-based carpet stains with a combination of vinegar, baking soda, and a little elbow grease.
4. Vinegar can also clean the dirty build up on blinds, baseboards, and window that most dusters miss.
5. If you have any ant or pest problems, find their probable entrance and spray some surface cleaner with bleach.
Bathroom & Kitchen
1. Once again, our trusty friend vinegar comes in handy. Vinegar will clean a lot of kitchen appliances that are harder to scrub. Running vinegar through your coffee maker will eliminate coffee buildup and water stains. Microwaving 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar in the microwave will loosen any food particles and makes scrubbing your microwave afterward much easier.
2. Distilled white vinegar can ALSO make your dishes shiny when you need an extra lift in the dishwasher – just splash some at the bottom of your dishwasher before running it.
3. Clean up that grimy bathroom grout with a cheap toothbrush and some whitening toothpaste. (Wondering what else toothpaste can do? Check out our 5 favorite toothpaste-related apartment hacks. Yes, really.)
4. Have a clogged shower or sink drain? Try bending a metal hanger into a hook shape with a long handle to scoop out any debris. Have a trash bag handy while you work, though—it can be a gory task if you haven’t done it in a while.
Want more apartment hacks to ring in the new year? Try our eco-friendly cleaning solutions, stage a kitchen cleaning intervention, and finally replace that air filter. Take your apartment cleaning fate into your own hands! Conquer your fear of filth in 2015!
Connect with ApartmentSearch.com
What apartment cleaning secrets do you use to maintain a spotless space? Share your favorite cleaning hacks with us on Facebook and Twitter.