With Earth Day right around the corner on April 22, we are reminded of how important it is to do our part to help the planet. Apartment residents are some of the most conscious individuals, reducing their waste, buying environmentally-friendly products, and getting involved with earth-friendly initiatives in their communities. However, residents are also extremely busy, juggling their professional and personal lives. Fortunately, we have found five quick and easy ways that you can help keep our planet the beautiful place that it is now.
- Recycle your receipts. The number one paper item that most people forget to recycle is receipts. Just think of how many receipts we all collect. If we were just to recycle just that one paper item, we would save thousands of trees.
- Grow your own food. Imagine what it would be like to pick a fresh, delicious tomato from the other side of your sliding glass door and use it on your salad that night. Plus, produce grown right on your balcony has a zero carbon footprint. The Tower Garden is the easiest growing system for apartment balconies that we have come across.
- Recycle your old electronics. For example, you can sell your old cell phones to www.greenphone.com for an average payout of $35. E-waste if one of the largest growing segments of landfill space creating a danger for the environment and your secure data.
- Recycle all your plastic wrapping. When you bring your plastic bags to your local grocery store to recycle, don’t forget to bring other plastic wrapping, such as the packaging that your paper goods are wrapped in when you purchase them, and used sandwich bags.
- Switch out your light bulbs. Save money and landfill space by switching all the bulbs in your apartment to Compact Fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, which consume about 75 percent less electricity than standard light bulbs and last 10 times longer.
The best way an eco-friendly individual can help the environment is by finding an apartment community that is just as green as you are. With its online search feature, ApartmentSearch.com can help you find one of the many apartments that have recycling services, valet trash management, and other green programs. You could even earn $200 just for mentioning that you found your apartment using ApartmentSearch.com. Now that is sustainable for the environment and your wallet too.