While there are a myriad of ways to get spooked for Halloween in your town or city – including haunted houses, watching scary movies, and going on local ghost tours – there are some cities that are just creepier than others. If you really want to get your fright on this Halloween, you need to live in one of these five U.S. cities:
Top U.S. Halloween Cities
1. Salem, Mass.: Thanks to the city’s history of witch hunts, Salem has become the creepiest – and most fun – place to celebrate Halloween. More than 250,000 attend the city’s Haunted Happenings, which includes a Grand Parade, haunted house tours, ghost tours and costume balls. Plus, there are nearly 20 costumes parties, witch trail re-enactments, witch museums and magic shops.
2. New Orleans, La. It is not just fun and costume parties around Halloween in this great Southern city . There are many creepy haunted cemetery and haunted house tours to choose from, wherever you reside in the city. Many say they have seen spirits come alive at the city’s above-ground cemeteries. Of course, you can visit the voodoo shops and get spooked as well. However, if you are looking to dress up in outlandish costumes, you will want to check out the Frenchman Street party and the LGBT celebration in the French Quarter.
3. Los Angeles, Calif.: In the birthplace of horror films, one would expect no less than several opportunities for scares around Halloween. Hollywood set designers and others set up their yards to look like creepy movie sets. You can also be haunted by zombies at Griffith Park and be chased around by clowns, vampires and zombies at Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios.
4. Detroit and Pontiac, Mich.: Pontiac features one of the scariest and largest haunted houses – Erebus – a four-story haunted house with underworld monsters, bottomless pits and crushing walls. Plus, there are more haunted houses in Detroit and Pontiac than anywhere else in the U.S. Check out Realm of Darkness, Night Terrors and Jackson’s Underworld.
5. Phoenix, Ariz.: This great Southwestern city is also known as one of the most frightening with several haunted houses, ghost tours and PoeFest. Among the creepiest haunted houses you should explore are the 13th Floor Haunted House, “created from your darkest nightmares”, and the Fear Farm Haunted House and Corn Maze, which includes a mock alien invasion.
If you love to celebrate Halloween – with all of its terrors, tricks, and treats – you need to live near a city that embraces the spirit of everything that is great about this holiday. You can find a great apartment that is near your Halloween houses, events and festivals, as well as near safe neighborhoods for trick-or-treating. Let ApartmentSearch.com help you find your next home. We quickly narrow down your search for the perfect place to live by amenities, price, location, school ratings and other factors. Plus, when you tell your new apartment community that you found your apartment on ApartmentSearch.com, you can earn up to $200 in rewards. Now that is not tricky – or frightening.